Methadone is an opioid medication. Methadone decreases withdrawal symptoms for heroin addicts and is only available in pharmacies.
Effects of Methadone Usage
People with severe asthma or breathing problems should not use this drug.
- Dizziness, drowsiness
- Increased sweating
- May be habit forming
- Can slow or stop breathing
- May cause a heart rhythm disorder.
- An estimated 120,000 people take Methadone to control heroin addiction
- Methadone is linked to nearly a third of opioid-associated deaths
- Methadone generally stays in the system longer than heroin — up to 59 hours